[mass noun] Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the mouth.
- ‘Adjuvant chemotherapy may produce diarrhea, mucositis or stomatitis, myelosuppression, nausea, vomiting, anorexia, hair thinning, taste changes and skin and nail changes.’
- ‘Gingival ulceration in herpetic stomatitis is common and is associated with mouth ulcers elsewhere and fever’
- ‘Other childhood infections such as herpetic stomatitis, exanthema subitum, and chickenpox also seemed protective.’
- ‘Adverse effects include stomatitis, hepatic fibrosis, cirrhosis, nausea, abdominal pain, neutropenia, pruritus, fever, pneumonitis and other gastrointestinal symptoms.’
- ‘It works, but, like many chemotherapeutic agents, it causes serious side effects, including neutropenia, alopecia, diarrhoea, stomatitis, sickness, and hand-foot syndrome.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from stoma, stomat- mouth + -itis.