One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Promoting the appetite or assisting digestion.
- ‘A few medicinal properties of spices such as tonic, carminative, stomachic, diuretic, and antispasmodic have long been recognized.’
- ‘The seeds are valued medicinally for their diuretic, demulcent and stomachic properties.’
- ‘The juice is good for promoting digestion and all parts have stomachic properties, which can be augmented with small amounts of cinnamon and cloves.’
A stomachic medicine or tonic.
- ‘Toxicity and side effects may be ameliorated if the drug is taken with green tea, diuretics, or stomachics.’
- ‘It is one of the earliest medicinal herbs known in Europe, widely regarded as one of the best stomachics for young children.’
- ‘The use of the herb checks the head and eyes, like the leaves; hence the root should be accounted among the best stomachics.’
- ‘Lemon verbena is used in teas, flavorings, fragrances, antispasmodics, carminatives, sedatives, and stomachics.’
- ‘As medicinal plants, the chamomiles have been traditionally considered to be antispasmodics, carminatives, diaphoretics, emmenagogues, sedatives, and stomachics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.