One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Russia) a cafeteria or canteen.‘in Soviet stolovayas ill-tempered women plopped the food on to Bakelite plates’
restaurant, cafeteria, refectory, mess hallView synonyms
- ‘They might have taken lunch at the local stolovaya but otherwise they cooked at home.’
- ‘The stolovaya was filling up with workmen, who had to deposit baskets of tools as well as many layers of outer garments.’
- ‘For supper, we went to the railway workers' stolovaya.’
- ‘The stolovayas of Russia tend to distinguish themselves from the norm by allotting themselves some bizarrely fanciful and exotic names such as "Stolovaya number 35".’
- ‘There was no incentive to remain in the stolovaya after eating.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.