One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Russia) a cafeteria or canteen.‘in Soviet stolovayas ill-tempered women plopped the food on to Bakelite plates’
restaurant, cafeteria, refectory, mess hallView synonyms
- ‘For supper, we went to the railway workers' stolovaya.’
- ‘There was no incentive to remain in the stolovaya after eating.’
- ‘They might have taken lunch at the local stolovaya but otherwise they cooked at home.’
- ‘The stolovaya was filling up with workmen, who had to deposit baskets of tools as well as many layers of outer garments.’
- ‘The stolovayas of Russia tend to distinguish themselves from the norm by allotting themselves some bizarrely fanciful and exotic names such as "Stolovaya number 35".’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.