One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘He sat stolidly in a folding chair, clutching a photo of his son.’
- ‘It hadn't stopped Leila's father becoming a flying instructor, but her mother never entered a plane after she heard this story, stolidly embroidering, two feet on the ground, while her husband waggled his wings overhead.’
- ‘The ladies had to stand while the seated males stolidly ignored the courtesies their fathers would have observed (presumably in the same carriages).’
- ‘He stood stolidly enough in the dock, but in life he lost his temper, cried easily - cried in front of the vice-principal of the school where he worked; cried in front of the police when they came to ask questions.’
- ‘While the restaurant staff stolidly carry on, the guests actually start to enjoy themselves and make their own spontaneous fun.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.