One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See stockingin combination ‘her black-stockinged legs’
- ‘When he examined imprints on putty that had been placed under the séance table and found imprints of a woman's shoe, a stockinged heel, or a big toe, it did not occur to him that the imprints might have been made by a woman's foot.’
- ‘The four women took off their shoes and displayed their stockinged feet.’
- ‘I curled up on the quilted bedspread, hugging my stockinged legs to me.’
- ‘The smooth, hundred-year-old larch under my stockinged feet where I now sit in my study represents only a tiny fraction of a very complex solution for what ails our forests.’
- ‘It might almost be the glimpse of a stockinged leg with the impersonal passivity of ‘incautiously exposed’, suggesting a body ‘asking for it.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.