One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of tar prepared from resinous pinewood and used in particular in shipbuilding and as an ingredient of ointments.
- ‘They would plait their hair into a pigtail and dress it with Stockholm tar to hold it together.’
- ‘Hoof-Seal contains genuine Stockholm tar and pine oil, all held in place on the hoof wall by a thin, but tough, polyurethane film.’
- ‘Dry cow therapy as well as putting a barrier such as Stockholm tar on the udder may be necessary.’
- ‘Some farmers use Stockholm tar to prevent fly infestations.’
- ‘Our Scandinavian neighbours campaigned strongly for this review as a lot of Stockholm tar is used to preserve their beautiful old wooden churches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.