One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American A shareholder.
- ‘We continue to be stockholders and enthusiastically support Andreas and the leadership he is providing.’
- ‘Then, as minority stockholders, they could exploit Germany's arcane takeover law to demand a higher price for their shares.’
- ‘Because many of the tax law's provisions are aimed squarely at investors, his strategists hope to score points with a burgeoning group of stockholders.’
- ‘A dividend is a cash payout a company gives stockholders.’
- ‘With tax collectors ready to take more than 40 cents of every $1 paid to high-income stockholders, they just didn't add up.’
- ‘But, there is also a lot to be said for corporations having the freedom to let people go to improve bottom lines so their stockholders get more profits.’
- ‘This is money paid to stockholders, normally out of the corporation's current earnings or accumulated profits.’
- ‘Most of the family members are stockholders, he said.’
- ‘In an attempt to create a corporation where stockholders' interests are looked after, many firms have implemented a two-tier corporate hierarchy.’
- ‘I wish BusinessWeek would report on what happens to Aetna's insureds while they are making all this money for themselves and their stockholders.’
- ‘In many IPOs, selling stockholders don't give up control.’
- ‘But just because Microsoft is handing a load of cash to stockholders doesn't mean it won't have plenty of dough to invest in its future.’
- ‘That's no simple question, as the hundreds of pages filled with figures and legalese that Viacom dropped on its stockholders make plain.’
- ‘Furthermore, high debt levels may negatively affect common stockholders, who are last in line for claiming payback from a company that becomes insolvent.’
- ‘In April, Abbott handed out to its stockholders 100% of the shares in Hospira.’
- ‘Options are both compensation for executives and also potential costs to stockholders, since their exercise dilutes stockholder ownership rights.’
- ‘When a company files for Chapter 11, that company is assigned a committee that represents the interests of creditors and stockholders.’
- ‘In tender offers, corporations issue public promises to purchase the stock of targets directly from their stockholders at preset prices.’
- ‘Should this happen, bondholders would be paid first during the liquidation process, then preferred stockholders, and lastly common stockholders.’
- ‘At the bankrupt Cone Mills, unhappy stockholders and board members have accused him of conflict of interest.’
2A holder of supplies for manufacturers.
- ‘As a result of this value we have become the largest distributor/stockholder for Waverley Brownall in the UK.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.