Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cube of concentrated dehydrated meat, vegetable, or fish stock for use in cooking.
- ‘Then pour 700 ml boiling water into the milk pan and stir in the stock powder or crumble in a stock cube.’
- ‘Any leftover jus keeps quite well in the fridge or alternatively you can freeze it in an ice cube tray for addition to gravy, soups or casseroles as an alternative to stock cubes.’
- ‘For a less traditional dish, the flour and stock cube can be substituted with 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top of the four christophene halves.’
- ‘Pressure cook the cauliflower and potato along with the stock cube and three cups of water for a minute.’
- ‘Shake a few gravy granules, or break a stock cube over the top and fill the dish with water.’
- ‘Brodo Star Porcini stock cubes (recommended by Nigella) are the secret of a perfect risotto.’
- ‘You can choose either chicken or vegetable stock cubes for this soup - we use chicken.’
- ‘In the meantime, very gently cook a good quantity of white fish (I used haddock) in half a pint of milk with a bay leaf and a stock cube in it.’
- ‘This is my little cheat - rather than make up a stock, I fry the stock cube in with the spices, and then add boiling water.’
- ‘It's unbelievable how many products contain potato: gravy granules, stock cubes, pies.’
- ‘Bring to simmer on low heat chicken stock or water and stock cubes.’
- ‘Put in the vegetable stock cube and salt to taste.’
- ‘She doesn't use them herself, but even a simple stock cube can serve for a good, tasty soup made at home, she says.’
- ‘The risotto of leek, potato and Parmesan, which came in a deep bowl of Fido-type dimensions, had more salty savour, the kind you get from stock cubes.’
- ‘The leek and potato soup was plain, rather than special, but with none of that thirst-producing stock cube taste.’
- ‘Now make the gravy, set the chicken roasting tin on the heat, add the wine, stock cube and 150 ml water.’
- ‘If you are making a risotto, for instance, add a small amount of bacon and some unsalted home-made stock, rather than a stock cube.’
- ‘The Oxo family advertisements, which began in 1983, were scrapped after the then owners of the stock cubes, Unilever, decided the concept was outdated.’
- ‘In an earlier programme she spent seven minutes making pea soup by liquidising frozen peas, water and stock cubes in a blender before heating it for ten minutes.’
- ‘Although I've changed it slightly, I don't really enjoy stock cubes in my food if they're not necessary.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.