Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
usually as modifier A social gathering during which the participants chat or gossip while engaging in knitting or needlework.‘her grand designs for the shop involve a trendy makeover and the introduction of a Tuesday night stitch-and-bitch session’
- ‘Four pilot groups of 16 women each have been established; stitch'n'bitch groups are planned.’
- ‘The Stitch 'n' Bitch trend was by then unfurling across North America, but still I wondered it I'd get any takers.’
- ‘Recent programs include yoga lessons, movie nights, and a "stitch and bitch" knitting club that meets once a month.’
- ‘I have it on good authority that knitting circles (or stitch'n'bitch sessions, as they're also known) are the in thing; afternoon tea has replaced evening cocktails, and tailored pencil skirts look set to knock gypsy chic off the radar this autumn.’
- ‘She recently set up Tauranga's first "Stitch and Bitch" group where keen knitters can get together for a glass of wine and a gossip while creating their garments.’
- ‘She has directed budding knitters to the pub for a sociable "stitch'n'bitch" atmosphere.’
- ‘I also want to start a Stitch'n'Bitch group for Vancouver.’
- ‘It used to be a monthly craft night that ended up being called "Stitch and Bitch" but that was deemed a little inappropriate for a gathering of church women, and Sisters it is.’
- ‘They are known as "stitch 'n' bitch" sessions, and in the past few months the number of public knit-ins has grown sharply across Britain.’
- ‘Gillingham used to attend a Stitch 'n' Bitch with "hard core crafters" who met to share resources and info.’
- ‘I casted on at the Stitch and Bitch last week (10 days ago) but actually have not spent 100% of my knitting time on it (or I would be done by now) because I am doing my "homework" for my lace making class.’
- ‘But what she really looks forward to is meeting once a week with her Stitch 'n' Bitch group.’
- ‘"Radical domestic culture" is how members of one Stitch 'n' Bitch group in Dunbar jokingly describe their passion.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.