Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cause or provoke trouble or bad feeling.‘he accused me of trying to stir up trouble’
whip up, work up, foment, fan the flames of, trigger, spark off, excite, provoke, instigate, inciteView synonyms
- ‘He was released in 1999 under the Good Friday Agreement, only to be taken back to jail in August 2000 for allegedly stirring up rivalries among loyalists.’
- ‘"They have been stirring up chaos in Hong Kong and at the same time they want to change the mainland's political system.’
- ‘Education Secretary Ruth Kelly is stirring up opposition from teaching unions after putting a localised pay structure for teachers back on the agenda.’
- ‘But already it seems he is stirring up the kind of controversy which will be very familiar to those who have watched his career from Britain.’
- ‘As host of a daily phone-in show, he has extensive experience at stirring up arguments among the famously reserved and tolerant populace of Northern Ireland.’
- ‘A brewery is stirring up a touch of controversy in the Yorkshire Dales - with an advertising campaign declaring that ‘drinking is folly’.’
- ‘We both laughed nervously and he told me that he had heard that some Asian youths in Leeds had been stirring things up by deliberately leaving rucksacks on buses.’
- ‘On this occasion I am bound to suspect that his quoted views have been obtained by a reporter intent on stirring up controversy by approaching him for his views on a film which he has clearly not seen.’
- ‘When the film was screened at the Venice film festival, there were a few boos from the audience, but he is happy his work is stirring up a reaction.’
- ‘The far-right ideologue's appearance here is already stirring up a hornet's nest of opposition.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.