One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1US informal A contemptible or foul-smelling person or thing.
- ‘So while they may not be as clean as they would be at home, they're not total stinkpots.’
- ‘But those stinkpots just happened to belong to very powerful political patrons (some of whom now sit on his cabinet, like the Treasury Secretary).’
- ‘Something he doesn't tell you, that Michigan plant he spoke at turned out to be one of those old stinkpots that was then under investigation for Clean Air Act violations.’
2An American musk turtle with a domed shell, typically living in muddy-bottomed waters and producing a strong unpleasant smell when disturbed.
Kinosternon odoratum (or Sternotherus odoratus), family Kinosternidae
- ‘Please keep all comments constructive to Ridgeback musk or stinkpot turtle husbandry methods and care.’
- ‘We were treated to black bears, river otters, sturgeon, horseshoe crabs, and stinkpot turtles.’
- ‘Additionally, Tokosh was found to be holding 12 different species - some threatened or endangered - including bog turtles, spotted turtles, wood turtles, stinkpot turtles, Blanding's turtles, smooth- and spiny- shelled turtles and timber rattlesnakes.’
- ‘In 1982, a stinkpot was collected in Pico Pond, San Luis Obispo County, California.’
- ‘These sites are about Missouri turtles, including snapping turtles, alligator snapping turtles, stinkpot turtles, three-toed box turtles, and ornate box turtles.’
- ‘Our turtle of interest, Sternotherus odoratus, or the stinkpot turtle, is found throughout the midwest and eastern seaboard of the United States.’
- ‘While I still had Snipp and Snapp, I got Shim and Sham, two common musk turtles also known as stinkpot turtles.’
- ‘The stinkpot turtle gets its name from the foul smelling secretions it releases from musk glands under the border of the carapace.’
- ‘They are as pugnacious as stinkpot turtles and when threatened they quickly secrete a foul smelling liquid.’
- ‘In this study, we hoped to determine whether or not stinkpot turtles, like other turtles, exhibit homing behavior.’
- ‘They reported that stinkpot turtles are not tolerant of brackish waters.’
- ‘There's everything from stinkpot turtles and spitting sea cucumbers to fish slime, cannibalism and much more.’
- ‘The most evident characteristic of the stinkpot turtle is the presents of barbells on both the chin and throat.’
- ‘At the end of the study I would also like to create a statewide GIS layer for known stinkpot turtle occurrences.’
- ‘Open pond displays are homes to a wonderful collection of amphibians such as the red-eared slider, the common snapping turtle, wood turtles, painted turtles, and stinkpot turtles.’
- ‘Due to the loss of its habitat, the stinkpot turtle became a threatened species in 2002.’
- ‘However, I have also seen solitary stinkpots that were hundreds of feet away from another individual.’
- ‘He is helped by local creatures like a stinkpot turtle, a spring peeper, a muskrat, a kingfisher and a mallard duck.’
- ‘The documentation of thriving stinkpot turtle and map turtle populations in the creek, both of which use the existing bridge site for access to egg laying areas, increases our concerns about environmental harm.’
- ‘A third tank that has worked quite well is a ten gallon tank containing a stinkpot turtle, one small bluegill, two minnows, and three crayfish.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.