One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The absence of movement or sound.‘absolute stillness greeted our gaze’‘an eerie stillness engulfed the camp’
- ‘A powerful, palpable stillness filled the cool night.’
- ‘Perhaps he's still less at home with movement than he is with stillness.’
- ‘Walking up the gravel path feels like the approach to some kind of altar, the scrunching stones disturbing in the stillness.’
- ‘His carefully balanced compositions often create an island of stillness, a moment of revelatory quiet amid the modern churnings.’
- ‘They prefer a mongrel vitality to a purebred stillness, a jumbled collage to a more settled composition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.