One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic aromatic hydrocarbon which forms phosphorescent crystals and is used in dye manufacture.
Alternative name: trans-1,2-diphenylethene; chemical formula: C₆H₅CHCHC₆H₅
- ‘Resveratrol is a naturally occurring stilbene that scientists suspect plays a role in the cardioprotective properties of red wine and is also a potentially important anticarcinogen.’
- ‘Thus, a volume-conserving model seems to be needed for the isomerization of stilbene dendrimers with these large molecular weights.’
- ‘Piceatannol was found to be the most effective in the DNA cleavage reaction as well as a reducer of Cu followed by resveratrol and trans stilbene which does not show any activity.’
- ‘Photoirradiation of simple olefins such as stilbene resulted in mutual isomerization between cis and trans isomers both in the excited singlet state and in the triplet state decaying at the perpendicular excited state.’
- ‘The stilbene dendrimers studied here are good models of such chromoproteins.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek stilbein ‘to glitter’ + -ene.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.