One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A diving duck with a stiff tail of pointed feathers, often held up at an angle.
Family Anatidae: four genera, in particular Oxyura, and several species, e.g. the ruddy duck
- ‘This gallery will take you to the world of diving ducks, mergansers and stiff-tailed ducks (the Ruddy duck).’
- ‘A couple of years ago, a pair of ruddy duck arrived: small, sexually aggressive stifftail ducks with bright blue bills.’
- ‘Modern authors accept that we are dealing with two species of stifftail in Europe.’
- ‘The Blue-billed Duck is one of only two Australian species of stiff-tailed ducks - diving ducks with spine-like tail-feathers.’
- ‘This has resulted in the protection of the majority of Spanish wetlands used by White-headed Ducks, the banning of hunting, and prohibitions on the import and keeping of stifftails in captivity.’
- ‘This singular characteristic has set them apart in their own group, called stiff-tailed ducks.’
- ‘Either way they may potentially breed with Ruddy Ducks in the UK (as they are the main stifftails they will meet).’
- ‘The white-headed duck is the only stifftail to occur naturally in Europe, with a patchy distribution running from the western Mediterranean through to Central and East Asia.’
- ‘Some of his books are technical surveys of groups such as owls, hummingbirds, and stifftail ducks.’
- ‘Musk Ducks are highly aquatic, stiff-tailed ducks native to southern Australia.’
- ‘Members of the stiff-tailed ducks, represented in North America by the Ruddy Duck, have flat, paddle-shaped tails that the birds typically hold erect when resting on the water, giving them a very distinctive look.’
- ‘They're closely related to the stifftails (ruddy ducks, white-headed ducks and others), all of which are characterised by the sparsely-feathered fan-shaped tail that's either laid flat on the water's surface or held vertically on display.’
- ‘The Masked Duck is the other stiff-tailed duck and it inhabits warmer areas of the country such as southern Florida and Texas.’
- ‘Although stifftails, pochards, and sea ducks all dive for food, there are as many differences among them as similarities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.