One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be extremely noticeable.‘many important things had happened to him, but one stuck out’
stand out, be noticeable, be conspicuous, be obvious, catch the eye, be obtrusiveView synonyms
- ‘If anything sticks out it's just the passion with which people are bringing their ideas forward.’
- ‘With so many trips to Jamaica under your belt, there must be one story that sticks out in your mind as particularly memorable.’
- ‘The song stuck out amongst all the racket on TV, the big noisy box in the corner.’
- ‘There are too many areas at risk to list here, but there are two that stuck out to me.’
- ‘The car driver said the date sticks out in his mind for a particular, personal reason which he did wish to disclose, as it would identify him.’
- ‘I got her latest record and that song really stuck out to me - it sounded like an old folk song.’
- ‘Despite all that has happened in the past 10 years, it is this last feature of the period that sticks out most clearly.’
- ‘She sticks out in my mind because my mother used to have me run errands for her since she was our neighbor.’
- ‘He added that the incident still stuck out firmly in his mind and that nothing he had been involved in since could get close to it.’
- ‘After a long and distinguished career, one event sticks out in his memory as the only time he was afraid while at work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.