One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of naturally occurring unsaturated steroid alcohols, typically waxy solids.
- ‘Milk is composed of more than 12 different types of fat, including sphingolipids, free sterols, cholesterol, and oleic acid.’
- ‘Though these species are in the majority, in reality, biomembranes are quite complex mixtures of not only these simple lipids, but also of proteins and sterols.’
- ‘Cholesterol and closely related sterols play an important role in the function of plasma membranes in most eukaryotic cells.’
- ‘Classically, endocrine hormones are considered to be derived from amino acids, peptides, or sterols and to act at sites distant from their tissue of origin.’
- ‘A biological membrane is an assembly of a diverse set of molecules such as lipids, sterols, and proteins.’
Early 20th century: independent usage of the ending of words such as cholesterol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.