Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of naturally occurring unsaturated steroid alcohols, typically waxy solids.
- ‘Classically, endocrine hormones are considered to be derived from amino acids, peptides, or sterols and to act at sites distant from their tissue of origin.’
- ‘Cholesterol and closely related sterols play an important role in the function of plasma membranes in most eukaryotic cells.’
- ‘A biological membrane is an assembly of a diverse set of molecules such as lipids, sterols, and proteins.’
- ‘Milk is composed of more than 12 different types of fat, including sphingolipids, free sterols, cholesterol, and oleic acid.’
- ‘Though these species are in the majority, in reality, biomembranes are quite complex mixtures of not only these simple lipids, but also of proteins and sterols.’
Early 20th century: independent usage of the ending of words such as cholesterol.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.