One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Any of a large class of organic compounds with a characteristic molecular structure containing four rings of carbon atoms (three six-membered and one five). They include many hormones, alkaloids, and vitamins.
- ‘It is an important part of a healthy body, being a building block for steroids such as the sex hormones, and the hormones of the adrenal cortex.’
- ‘Vitamin D is a steroid produced in the skin through a reaction between cholesterol and sunlight.’
- ‘Little is known about the steroids associated with these structures in hagfish.’
- ‘One of the steroids it produces is cortisol, which increases the supply of glucose in the blood.’
- ‘So far, all the sex pheromones found in fish have turned out to be steroids and prostaglandins.’
- 1.1short for anabolic steroid
- ‘All but four contained steroids, which in 14 cases were classified as potent or very potent.’
- ‘He took, supposedly or allegedly, this designer steroid that helped him run faster.’
- ‘You know using steroids or human growth hormone to add slabs of muscle is cheating.’
- ‘The commissioner's policy bans the use of steroids at the major league level.’
- ‘There's an interesting editorial in USA Today on steroids in professional sports.’
- ‘These doses were comparable with the doses that many athletes who use steroids take.’
- ‘Detecting successive generations of designer steroids will require a different type of sleuthing.’
- ‘Well, this has a lot of eyes on Major League Baseball and its policy about drug testing and steroids.’
- ‘First there were the highly publicized congressional hearings on steroids in professional baseball.’
- ‘He very quickly began to inject steroids, as he later admitted.’
- ‘I contend that players were caught with steroids that had been in their bodies for a while.’
- ‘If he has a poor spring, some will doubt he even belongs in the big leagues without steroids.’
- ‘When someone is taking steroids, he can lift hard one day, then come back and lift the next.’
- ‘Players will be tested for steroids at least twice a season, including one random test.’
- ‘Come up with a plan that gets guys off steroids and levels the playing field.’
- ‘He said he had been a gymnast as a teenager and wanted to get back into gymnastics as well as do some body building and the steroids would last him about five years.’
- ‘This is not caused by an over use of steroids but by a growth or tumour on her pituitary gland.’
- ‘In the 1980s steroids were the rage among power athletes, like weightlifters and sprinters.’
- ‘Top sluggers are adding muscle and bulk by taking steroids and growth hormone.’
- ‘Obviously testosterone levels also deplete and once you stop using steroids it can take a long time to get back to normal.’
1930s: from sterol + -oid.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.