One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A steamer propelled by a paddle wheel positioned at the stern.
- ‘Steaming upriver into the Columbia's great, verdant gorge, large sternwheelers brought passengers and profits to steamboat companies.’
- ‘To attract a younger clientele, the sternwheeler will make repeating three- and four-day Mississippi River cruises combined with a New Orleans hotel and activities package.’
- ‘Donning them triggers a kind of time slip, and we suddenly find ourselves falling back to the Dawson of yore, caught up in the excitement of a sternwheeler's arrival.’
- ‘The city was a scenic, lush rush of green, as seen from river level, topped with the sparkling lights of downtown as the sternwheeler paddled up to Rossdale under a light drizzle.’
- ‘Parked in the Sacramento River is the sternwheeler Delta King, twin of the Mississippi's Delta Queen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.