One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A steamer propelled by a paddle wheel positioned at the stern.
- ‘Steaming upriver into the Columbia's great, verdant gorge, large sternwheelers brought passengers and profits to steamboat companies.’
- ‘To attract a younger clientele, the sternwheeler will make repeating three- and four-day Mississippi River cruises combined with a New Orleans hotel and activities package.’
- ‘Parked in the Sacramento River is the sternwheeler Delta King, twin of the Mississippi's Delta Queen.’
- ‘The city was a scenic, lush rush of green, as seen from river level, topped with the sparkling lights of downtown as the sternwheeler paddled up to Rossdale under a light drizzle.’
- ‘Donning them triggers a kind of time slip, and we suddenly find ourselves falling back to the Dawson of yore, caught up in the excitement of a sternwheeler's arrival.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.