One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Backward movement of a ship.‘we begin making sternway towards the shoal’
- ‘Try dropping the anchor while simultaneously backing down under power, making sternway, to see how the boat handles.’
- ‘If this does not work, but results in sternway, shove the tiller clear over to the opposite side.’
- ‘You do not want to make headway or sternway but simply pivot with a continuous motion.’
- ‘As you begin lowering the anchor, the helmsman can shift the engine into idle reverse, so that the vessel just begins making slight sternway about the time the anchor reaches the bottom.’
- ‘Be sure that the rudder is amidships, or else aimed to port if the boat starts making sternway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.