An inboard engine connected to an outboard drive unit at the rear of a powerboat.
- ‘Genmar is the second-largest boat producer in the U.S., following Brunswick Corp., which produces Bayliners, Sea Rays, Maxums and others, as well as Mercury and Mercruiser engines and sterndrives.’
- ‘In addition, MerCruiser and Indmar unveiled prototypes of sterndrives with catalytic converters at fall and winter boat shows, but they are still in the research and development phase.’
- ‘The drive shaft areas on Alpha and all Bravo sterndrives are identical but the twin propellers on Bravo IIIs take up more space.’
- ‘Tests on four powerboats from 19 to 23 feet equipped with two MerCruiser and two Indmar sterndrives and V-drives over 480 hours of operation produced carbon monoxide reductions up to 99% (engine running at idle).’
- ‘Use your existing flusher and a regular garden hose, combined with West Marine's Engine Winterizing Kit to easily coldproof your outboard or sterndrive.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.