One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Silver of 921/2 per cent purity.
- ‘It is perched on a polished branch of black coral and is also adorned with black and colorless diamonds set in 18-karat white, rose, and yellow gold with sterling silver accents.’
- ‘She likes to use naturally shaped round coin pearls, to enhance, through their imperfections, the perfectly smooth and glossy surface of polished sterling silver.’
- ‘The medal, in plated or polished stainless steel or sterling silver, comes with a 24-inch beaded chain.’
- ‘This meant, for example, that he preferred copper or silverplate to sterling silver for his metalwork.’
- ‘So she rounded up glass beads, semi-precious stones, and sterling silver wire and created her collection of one-of-a-kind rings.’
- ‘Somewhere in the dismal mess of a closet, he found what he was looking for: a light silver chain made out of sterling silver links.’
- ‘And the store features a line of fine body jewelry - belly button and nose studs - in 14 karat white and yellow gold and sterling silver.’
- ‘It was made of sterling silver and looked as though it were covered with silver rose vines.’
- ‘She wears a tiara made of sterling silver, with Diamonds, Amethysts, and Sapphire flowers, with Alexandrite in the middle, and Pearls around the flowers as accents.’
- ‘Then the break ended and she was back to washing the gold rimmed china and crystal goblets and glasses, cleaning the sterling silver and stainless steel, it was endless.’
- ‘Complete outfits will cost £1,200 for the standard version and £2,000 with sterling silver accessories.’
- ‘Carrying a priceless, sterling silver tray, laden with their midnight snack of choice, strawberries, melted chocolate and champagne, he padded barefoot across the beautiful Persian rug back to her.’
- ‘This room was a far cry from the sleek black leather furniture set, sterling silver end and coffee table, and colorful pop art gracing my penthouse apartment.’
- ‘Most recently men have abandoned suits and ties for more casual dress, women seek speedy ways to prepare meals, and everyday dining with sterling silver and cut glass is a thing of the past.’
- ‘I was wearing a good pair of denim blue jeans and a simple beige top that had sequins decorating the front and no jewelry except for a pair of sterling silver studs.’
- ‘Tiffany's sterling silver bookmark is shaped like an open book.’
- ‘In some houses, plated articles were used in preference to their equivalents in sterling silver.’
- ‘The black marble base includes space for a handcrafted, 2-inch, 3-dimensional sterling silver image of the winning driver's face.’
- ‘Proudly she stood with her hand on the cutlass's sterling silver, intricately carved handle, posing like fierce pirate.’
- ‘Charms whether made of sterling silver or some other materials are often used to represent the person who wears or carries the charm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.