One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An electric motor or other device which moves or rotates in a series of small discrete steps.
- ‘They are suitable for use with any standard two-phase stepper motor and offer four, user-selectable resolution settings.’
- ‘Instead, the typewriters of today have a couple integrated circuits, a power supply, one or two stepper motors, a ribbon cable, a daisy print wheel, and a whole lot of air.’
- ‘The two-sided timing belt is driven by a stepper motor in synchronism with the turret.’
- ‘A computer-controlled stepper motor allowed the user to select from 31 filters.’
- ‘The plungers of the pumps are moved via cams by stepper motors which swing or rotate back and forth within a certain angular range.’
- ‘The drums were mounted on a platform that could be raised and lowered by an additional stepper motor.’
- ‘But you will still need sophisticated manufacturing infrastructure and sophisticated steppers.’
- ‘It will work with customers in the development of enabling technologies and integrated systems involving miniature solenoid valves and diaphragm pumps, motion controllers, stepper and servomotors, and related products.’
- ‘The electronic throttle inputs are sent to a stepper motor which controls an eccentric shaft positioned next to the intake camshaft.’
- ‘The pinhole was opened maximally to collect the most light and approximate wide field images Z axis position was moved at 0.12-m intervals with a stepper motor attached to the fine focus controls.’
- ‘Both pistons are moved via cams by stepper motors.’
- ‘The relationships linking the stepper motor position (number of steps) and wavelength have been obtained by averaging the results of more than 20 spectra.’
- ‘Each probe can be moved in two directions, axis and angle, by stepper motors through a remote-control system.’
- ‘The beam passes into an optical assembly consisting of cradled prisms connected to leadscrews and stepper motors that allow for horizontal and vertical motion, which creates a virtual source.’
- ‘Spectra were acquired before the stepper motor began moving, throughout the 6-blanch cycle, and after the blanch cycle was completed.’
- ‘I used a power stepper to transform the frequency and also to down the voltage from 240v to 110v.’
- ‘Computer-driven stepper motors rotate the mirrors to obtain the desired angle of incidence.’
- ‘A four-axis motion control card allows users to direct stepper motors or digital servomotors, and incorporates a motion control chip as part of its design.’
- ‘For example, if a stepper motor will cause a movement of some distance, the distance will be converted to a number of step pulses and some number of feedback pulses via an encoder.’
- ‘The actual amount of the foil delivered would be controlled by the stepper motor.’
2A portable block used in step aerobics.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.