One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Take action in response to an opportunity or crisis.
- ‘They're great Americans and they're stepping up to the plate.’
- ‘The federal authorities need to step up to the plate and face their responsibility.’
- ‘And we have a very important role to play, but are just so grateful with everyone who's stepping up to the plate to contribute their assets to help with the problem.’
- ‘However, the association also demanded that the government play a role in the consumer crisis, and openly chided it for not stepping up to the plate.’
- ‘The space program is in complete disarray and no one is stepping up to the plate and trying to find a solution.’
- ‘Make sure your congressman steps up to the plate.’
- ‘I've really stepped up to the plate on this album.’
- ‘It's everyone's responsibility to step up to the plate and strive to get what they want while giving others what they want in return.’
- ‘And we want people stepping up to the plate to be vaccinated if they're in a priority group.’
- ‘The president has boldly stepped up to the plate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.