One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Take action in response to an opportunity or crisis.
- ‘I've really stepped up to the plate on this album.’
- ‘They're great Americans and they're stepping up to the plate.’
- ‘Make sure your congressman steps up to the plate.’
- ‘The space program is in complete disarray and no one is stepping up to the plate and trying to find a solution.’
- ‘The president has boldly stepped up to the plate.’
- ‘And we have a very important role to play, but are just so grateful with everyone who's stepping up to the plate to contribute their assets to help with the problem.’
- ‘The federal authorities need to step up to the plate and face their responsibility.’
- ‘It's everyone's responsibility to step up to the plate and strive to get what they want while giving others what they want in return.’
- ‘And we want people stepping up to the plate to be vaccinated if they're in a priority group.’
- ‘However, the association also demanded that the government play a role in the consumer crisis, and openly chided it for not stepping up to the plate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.