Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Increase the amount, speed, or intensity of something:‘police decided to step up security plans for the match’
increase, intensify, strengthen, augment, escalate, scale up, boostspeed up, increase, accelerate, quicken, hastenView synonyms
- ‘The visitors were stepping up their game and it was no surprise when they went further ahead in the 59th minute.’
- ‘Police are now stepping up the campaign to catch the culprit and have asked members of the public to come forward if they know who it is.’
- ‘And as the government steps up its efforts to join the euro we can expect more traders sell sterling in anticipation.’
- ‘They are stepping up ticketing to clamp down on the vehicles using double yellow lines to park in Southampton city centre.’
- ‘From there he drove to his home in Glasgow's west end where his security will be stepped up.’
- ‘This quality threshold is likely to be raised as the organisation steps up its activities as it moves into the private sector.’
- ‘Rowdy revellers and arsonists could see their antics crushed as a drive to tackle residents' worries steps up a gear.’
- ‘Police are stepping up their fight against illicit drugs with a pioneering new piece of computer technology.’
- ‘Police are stepping up their war on anti-social behaviour on an estate.’
- ‘Security patrols have been stepped up in the border area.’
2Increase voltage using a transformer.
- ‘European machines, which operate on electrical standards different from those of U.S. machines, require transformers to step voltages up or down.’
- ‘In the pictures you see, it's taking power from an external power supply, stepping it up in voltage, and driving a fluorescent lamp - all at an efficiency of less than 100%.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.