One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decrease voltage by using a transformer.
- ‘But larger facilities, including malls, campuses and industrial plants, may take power at ‘high tension’ - between 4,800 and 138,000 volts - and then step it down with their own transformers.’
- ‘For PSD analysis, the reflector voltage was stepped down in 10 to 12 steps, starting from 30 kV, in order to collect fragment ions from the precursor down to immonium ions.’
- ‘AC circuits predominate in the US transmission system because they are compatible with transformers - devices that can step up voltage before electricity is transported or step it down before electricity is distributed to consumers.’
- ‘In this case, the supply provides 12V DC power to the case, which has a small internal regulator to step the voltage down to 3.3V and 5V as needed.’
- ‘And even if mains electricity was used, the voltage would be stepped down to battery-levels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.