One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
So as to progress gradually and carefully from one stage to the next.‘I'll explain it to you step by step’as modifier ‘a step-by-step guide’
one step at a time, bit by bit, gradually, in stages, by degrees, slowly, steadily, slowly but surelyView synonyms
- ‘The exhibits suggested ways and means to reduce weight step by step.’
- ‘Now in a step by step guide, I'll show you how I can achieve this.’
- ‘They followed this step by step guide to equipment and software applications at their own speed.’
- ‘She loved pranks, but they had to be carefully planned out, step by step, whereas he just did it.’
- ‘And it lays out step by step what was done to assemble this bomb and deliver this bomb.’
- ‘Sarah has written a book about their experiences with a step by step guide for people wanting to do it themselves.’
- ‘The software contains lesson plans, which enable the teacher to cover each of these elements step by step.’
- ‘Pat got right down to business, taking the group step by step through the fundamentals of writing poetry.’
- ‘He guides you step by step through comprehensive and easy to follow instructions.’
- ‘Your mind and body will find it a lot easier to receive the changes if you make them step by step rather than all in one go in the hope that they will fit together nicely in the swing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.