One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for tenter
- ‘These machines such as jiggers, stenters, brushing, sueding and finishing lines that are now part of any integrated dye-house unit are also available to complement the knitted fabric dyeing concept.’
- ‘At the same time Ozark supplied and installed and 18-valve chemical feed system to supply the factory's stenters.’
- ‘Two sets of pinning rubbers are attached to each wing to press home the cloth onto the stenter pin plates.’
- ‘Pin chains working at high temperatures in textile stenters and dryers must be free of vibration and must not stretch.’
- ‘The invention relates to a continuous transport chain of a fabric stenter.’
From Scots stent ‘set up a tent’ (perhaps a shortening of extend) + -er.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.