Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for tenter
- ‘At the same time Ozark supplied and installed and 18-valve chemical feed system to supply the factory's stenters.’
- ‘Two sets of pinning rubbers are attached to each wing to press home the cloth onto the stenter pin plates.’
- ‘The invention relates to a continuous transport chain of a fabric stenter.’
- ‘Pin chains working at high temperatures in textile stenters and dryers must be free of vibration and must not stretch.’
- ‘These machines such as jiggers, stenters, brushing, sueding and finishing lines that are now part of any integrated dye-house unit are also available to complement the knitted fabric dyeing concept.’
From Scots stent ‘set up a tent’(perhaps a shortening of extend)+ -er.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.