One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural stenosesmass nounMedicine
The abnormal narrowing of a passage in the body.‘there is evidence of stenosis’with modifier ‘renal artery stenosis’count noun ‘a stenosis at the level of the hilum was diagnosed’
tightening, narrowing, shrinking, squeezingView synonyms
- ‘Examples of fixed obstruction include tracheal stenosis, foreign body, or neoplasm.’
- ‘If a patient presents with symptoms of carotid artery stenosis, the cause must be identified.’
- ‘Patients with bilateral renal artery stenosis commonly have impaired renal function.’
- ‘Complications of radiation therapy include anal ulcers, anal stenosis and necrosis.’
- ‘Excessive response may occur in cases of renal artery stenosis or after diuretics.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek stenōsis ‘narrowing’, from stenoun ‘make narrow’, from stenos ‘narrow’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.