[mass noun] The abnormal narrowing of a passage in the body.‘there is evidence of stenosis’[with modifier] ‘renal artery stenosis’[count noun] ‘a stenosis at the level of the hilum was diagnosed’
tightening, narrowing, shrinking, squeezingView synonyms
- ‘Excessive response may occur in cases of renal artery stenosis or after diuretics.’
- ‘Examples of fixed obstruction include tracheal stenosis, foreign body, or neoplasm.’
- ‘Complications of radiation therapy include anal ulcers, anal stenosis and necrosis.’
- ‘If a patient presents with symptoms of carotid artery stenosis, the cause must be identified.’
- ‘Patients with bilateral renal artery stenosis commonly have impaired renal function.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek stenōsis narrowing, from stenoun make narrow, from stenos narrow.