One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piano manufactured by the German piano-builder Henry Engelhard Steinway (1797–1871), or by the firm which he founded in New York in 1853.
- ‘He demonstrates on a Stein fortepiano alongside the Steinway, discussing his decisions about articulation and dynamics in key passages.’
- ‘The play, about piano tuners and a Steinway baby grand, is an absurd piece [hopefully] in the vein of Ionesco.’
- ‘Amongst its treasures is the monumental Steinway concert grand piano, presented to Wagner by Steinways on the occasion of the first performance of the Ring cycle in 1876.’
- ‘The studio also houses a Steinway C grand piano built in 1894.’
- ‘As part of its 150th anniversary, Steinway & Sons is looking for the oldest Steinway grand piano and upright.’
- ‘The boldest decorative statements in the open floor plan are the black baby grand piano - a 1927 Steinway on loan from a friend of the symphony - and the red arm chairs.’
- ‘The architecture was always clear, but each new section had renewed purpose, with a resilient and singing tone to the piano, a Steinway which once belonged to the great pianist Malcuzinski.’
- ‘Köhler sang in a most unlikely venue: the Hugendubel bookstore, where a Steinway grand piano most impressively towered above the rows of books.’
- ‘The hall was empty now, except for the busts of former presidents and a Steinway grand piano, probably the only instrument of its kind in the entire country.’
- ‘He led me and Zora to a raised platform where there was a Steinway grand piano, a large drum set, and a few speakers and amps set haphazardly around.’
- ‘The piano was a white Steinway, not great but seemingly the best in Klaipeda - they're trying to get a new one but fund-raising is hard work (as it is everywhere).’
- ‘It is a re-creation of a historic Steinway concert grand piano that was first exhibited at the New York World's Fair in 1939.’
- ‘Outside medicine, playing his Steinway piano and golf took up much of his time.’
- ‘Downstairs was the lounge, kitchen and my father's music room, with his treasured Steinway piano.’
- ‘Another Steinway grand piano made around 1889 and formerly in the collection of James S. Inglis surfaced in 1984 but has since disappeared.’
- ‘Virtual Grand Piano puts the sounds of a Steinway concert grand piano into the hands of someone with a computer and MIDI keyboard.’
- ‘Anyway, it meant that, while he was completing his preparations for the day ahead, I got to play the piano - which is somewhat better than my piano in being a Steinway.’
- ‘The basement is where the celebrity pianists go to pick out a Steinway for their recording sessions, concerts, TV shows.’
- ‘He struggled to shuffle his way across the stage and sit down at the Steinway piano.’
- ‘So they put the Steinway piano back together with the intention to get their money back on it, only to discover that it too would now only make thuds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.