Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action or skill of steering a ship or boat.
helmsmanship, steersmanship, seamanship, map-reading, chart-readingView synonyms
- ‘The race was won by steersmanship and steersmanship alone!’
- ‘The Greeks developed the concept of steersmanship.’
- ‘He does not rely on steersmanship to suffer the storm and come through it.’
- ‘Yet despite their air of expert steersmanship, those at the helm never fully appreciated the implications of what they were doing.’
- ‘The captain and pilot were pleased to instruct him in all the art and mystery of steersmanship.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.