Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A committee that decides on the priorities or order of business of an organization and manages the general course of its operations.
- ‘Citizens will be organized into ward committees, ULB committees and steering committees.’
- ‘The steering committee includes people from the public, private, voluntary and community groups.’
- ‘However I hope that the steering group and sub committees do not get hijacked by certain groups whom hold extreme views and personal agendas.’
- ‘A steering committee and a finance committee have been put in place and a series of further meetings will take place during the summer.’
- ‘A steering committee of 10 business people and residents has already approached Bendigo Bank.’
- ‘Together, Berte and McKinstry organized a steering committee to come up with a plan of action.’
- ‘Expelling somebody is the business of the steering committee.’
- ‘This has been paid for and printed by one of the businesses on the steering committee, CGU Life.’
- ‘At a packed public meeting, in the village hall, residents decided to form a steering committee to spearhead their campaign.’
- ‘The festival steering group is committed to organic growth.’
- ‘The training will also assist in building consensus and interaction among the teams, particularly the planning committees and steering committees for the project.’
- ‘Of course, men were involved in the steering group, the corporate body that implemented their plan and the parliament that approved it.’
- ‘Dr Murray wants to set up a steering committee of school principals, the police and parents to work on attracting funding for the project.’
- ‘Already, there are over 500 tenants involved in the steering groups of these new organisations.’
- ‘The meeting held to raise awareness, support and also to organise a steering group to actualise the above goals.’
- ‘A steering group and a committee had been formed, but more members were needed.’
- ‘Although run through the council, The Centre is led by a steering group of partner agencies, including Age Concern, the police and residents.’
- ‘Then corporate real estate worked collaboratively with business units, setting up real estate steering committees that included top business unit leaders.’
- ‘The steering committee decides what goes on the site and makes sure it is kept current.’
- ‘The new club is run by a steering committee and has sub committees of Boat fishing, Shore fishing, Boat owners and Juniors.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.