One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An edible South African sea bream of shallow waters.
- ‘Species such as the seventyfour, red steenbras and musselcracker have been so severely depleted that they represent no more than 5% of their original abundance in linefish catches.’
- ‘As usual, a fair to strong current was running from north to south, and we let it glide us through the schools of game fish, big-eye jack, yellow-tail jack, Bank steenbras, and mangrove snapper.’
- ‘The biggest steenbras will net the winner $3000.’
- ‘A person may not for recreational purposes in one day harvest more than a total of ten fish comprising any one or more of the following species: blacktail, galjoen, kob, West Coast steenbras and snoek.’
- ‘What else is there for them to catch other than pilchard, small hake or line-fish such as cob, steenbras or black tail,’ he said.’
- ‘Garry Rusteberg with a prize 12,95 kg copper steenbras he caught using a mullet hook and line (light tackle) while fishing for live bait off Gonubie Point.’
- ‘Fish species such as galjoen, white steenbras and spotted grunter that feed within the intertidal zone cannot survive where the beach has been denuded.’
- ‘Discussing unusually large catches of red steenbras at this time, it was mentioned this was attributable to lack of current along the continental shelf.’
- ‘Having fished from Kei Mouth for 23 years as a skiboat skipper when he saw daily catches of up to 250 kg of black steenbras brought in by one boat; another pulling 90 dageraad off one reef.’
- ‘Iyambo also announced that some of the line-fish species, such as kob and steenbras, are under pressure.’
- ‘The others have noticed increasing numbers of small black and silver steenbras being caught.’
- ‘Regarding the various catches, the regulations stipulate as follows: The species referred to may not include head and tail, be shorter than 25 cm for blacktail, 30 cm for galjoen, 40 cm for steenbras.’
Early 17th century: from Afrikaans, from Dutch steen ‘stone’ + brasen ‘bream’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.