Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Fine strands of steel matted together into a mass, used as an abrasive.‘sand lightly with fine steel wool and dust off thoroughly’
- ‘If necessary, gently sand away stubborn rust on pruners and loppers with fine steel wool; use medium-grit sandpaper on larger tools.’
- ‘Aluminium can be keep clean with fine steel wool and plenty of soap.’
- ‘Dust off steel wool and rust particles with a dry cloth.’
- ‘Spray a little silicone or Teflon spray lubricant on the tracks and rub them down with fine steel wool.’
- ‘Dip a natural bristle brush or fine steel wool into the solvent; then brush or gently rub it into the damaged area until the defect disappears.’
- ‘Use steel wool or a fine grade of sandpaper to smooth out the affected area and an inch or two of the surrounding floor.’
- ‘For a shellac finish, dip fine steel wool in denatured alcohol, wipe the finish until it softens, and then wipe the surface with a clean, lint-free cloth.’
- ‘Remove rust by rubbing the affected area with super fine steel wool or a raw potato that has been dipped in whiting.’
- ‘Use very fine sandpaper or steel wool to smooth any fuzzy, raised grain.’
- ‘When you've removed all the easy stuff with your scraping implements, begin rinsing the piece with steel wool and either paint thinner or water, depending on the stripper you've used.’
- ‘Use fine steel wool to remove any encrusted material.’
- ‘Periodically, warm mineral oil should be applied with an absorbent cloth or very fine steel wool to the surface and edges.’
- ‘I've found that a brisk rub with fine steel wool followed by a thorough degreasing works quite well.’
- ‘Rub greasy spots with a mild or moderate abrasive, such as fine steel wool, and a dish detergent until they disappear.’
- ‘If not, heel marks and other stubborn spots may be removed by rubbing gently with 000 fine steel wool and the solvent-based wax used on the floor.’
- ‘Another treatment that sometimes removes white water marks is to rub the spot with extra fine steel wool and mayonnaise.’
- ‘We heated the metal with a propane torch to slightly discolor it and rubbed the top with fine steel wool to give the surface a duller sheen.’
- ‘Rust may be scoured with fine steel wool or scouring powder but re-seasoning of the utensil is necessary.’
- ‘If the finish is hard, apply paste wax with fine 0000 steel wool in the direction of the grain.’
- ‘Moisten a cloth or fine steel wool pad with a household solvent such as Varsol and rub across the spot.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.