One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A band that plays music on steel drums.
- ‘We are going to have a steel band like last year and we will be trying to get local groups to take part.’
- ‘A live steel band will help ensure a carnival atmosphere surrounds the walk and, if previous years are anything to go by, scores of participants will be in fancy dress.’
- ‘Accompanied by music from St Michael's Primary School, Welling's steel band and Beths Grammar School's Big Band, she chatted to many of the flag-waving crowds.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Radcliffe pounded on, out on her own, oblivious, undistracted even by a steel band playing the theme from Grandstand.’
- ‘Pre-school children also performed in their own steel band to mark the annual Notting Hill Carnival in London at the weekend.’
- ‘Jimmy Finnie is associate professor of music at Indiana State University, where he teaches percussion, percussion ensemble and steel band.’
- ‘The metal garbage can at the end of the barracks became alive like a steel band, as Sergeant Gonvea banged it with a stick.’
- ‘Chelsfield Village Fair will be held on July 16, with daytime events from noon to 5pm including vintage cars, a steel band and dance groups.’
- ‘Luckily for Dillon, he lived in a neighborhood that already had its own steel band.’
- ‘Innovations would include performances by out-of-town steel bands to promote a new steel band being set up in Keighley.’
- ‘Jugglers, unicyclists and a steel band also entertained spectators in the Parade Village, one of the best vantage points to see the action.’
- ‘A host of entertainment is being planned, including a steel band, fire eaters, stilt walkers and unicyclists.’
- ‘For the children jugglers and clowns drew cheers and applause and the area was filled with the sounds of the Caribbean steel band and Skipton Brass.’
- ‘Sounds of Steel, a steel band from Hampshire, were a late substitution for a steel band from Bristol.’
- ‘Shoppers and visitors to Williams and Griffin in Colchester High Street on Saturday were treated to performances by a steel band and fashion shows as the store held a fundraising beach party.’
- ‘As wake-up calls go, that should have been the equivalent of a steel band practising at the end of the bed.’
- ‘Everyone is welcome at the event, which features local singers, a steel band, gospel singers, dancers, poem recitals and special guest appearances.’
- ‘The steel band were excellent and really created the right ambience for it.’
- ‘She created a steel band for children with special needs and it meant so much to them.’
- ‘There's a gospel choir, steel band, the Derbyshire teenage group Forgotten and Loughborough University Tuxedo Swing Orchestra.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.