One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘This figure, now missing its head, is a masterful example of a rare type known as steatopygous, characterized by a fleshy abdomen and massive thighs and buttocks.’
- ‘Until more historical work is done, possible relationships between cultural constructions of the sodomitical body and those of the steatopygous African woman will remain a matter of speculation.’
- ‘A steatite figurine from the Amq plain,belonging to the early part of the Neolithic period, shows a seated woman of the steatopygous type so characteristic of the Stone Age.’
- ‘She went on her way, her grass skirt swinging rhythmically, resembling one of those steatopygous statues in anthropological museums.’
- ‘In the Paleolithic period, steatopygous figures may have suggested fertility, because of the necessity of certain levels of body fat required for procreation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.