One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A communal wash house.‘it would have been the talk of the steamie’
- ‘All very well in the rarefied air of Marylebone in London, though it is some way from being the talk of the steamie in Edinburgh.’
- ‘She campaigned single-handedly against the closure during the 1970s of the steamie in the basement of the pool building.’
- ‘I know this current crop of stories are the talk of the steamie, but I don't think I can cope with any more celebrity dirty laundry.’
- ‘The area of the Lower Main, for eight decades synonymous with mobsters, hookers, dive bars and steamies, can now be officially known as The Target.’
- ‘For the first time in its history, a Channel 4 programme became the talk of the steamie and the bingo hall crowd as well as the city wine bar and the gay night club.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.