One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sturdy trunk designed or intended for use on board a steamship.
- ‘It's not like the days when we arrived with steamer trunks.’
- ‘She was having a bad hair day and the bags under her eyes were big enough to qualify for steamer trunks.’
- ‘It came in a box about the size of a steamer trunk.’
- ‘He ran into the corner and opened the steamer trunk.’
- ‘He led me to a steamer trunk, opened the lid and began to take out dark velvet trousers, shirts of raw silk, scarves hung with gold ornaments.’
- ‘He reached into the open steamer trunk next to him.’
- ‘Our class steamer trunk is always overflowing with pillows available to construction workers.’
- ‘The other things were packed in her steamer trunk and were given to one of the musicians to carry ahead.’
- ‘Now, if it were a bottle of whiskey you discovered hiding in the steamer trunk buried under a boxed weight set in your roommate's locked closet, you'd be perfectly happy.’
- ‘This is just a weekend jaunt and I didn't bring the three steamer trunks full of ball gowns that usually accompany me when I tour.’
- ‘Things improve when Mimi Glossop meets her ditzy Aunt Hortense at London customs with a near-shipload of steamer trunks in tow, returning from a shopping spree in Paris.’
- ‘From the era of the steamship, before jet airplanes eliminated the need for steamer trunks, comes the vintage luggage label.’
- ‘Neatly stacked, they recall romantic images of steamer trunks and train travel.’
- ‘Four items stood along one wall: two tall chests of drawers, an antique wardrobe, and a steamer trunk, its lid propped open with a block of wood.’
- ‘Investigators arrived and, in addition to the body inside the large steamer trunk, they found another body in the small case.’
- ‘She motioned to an open portfolio on the steamer trunk at the foot of Rachel's bed.’
- ‘A familiar stench of death greeted the veteran officers and they quickly discovered the steamer trunk.’
- ‘It was wedged firmly between a steamer trunk and various other items at the bottom.’
- ‘There was still another steamer trunk, hidden beneath a trunk of Jane's silk satin ball gowns and safari clothes, that in my haste and excitement over the letters I'd neglected to open.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.