One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A travelling rug, especially for use on board a passenger ship for keeping warm on deck.
blanket, coverlet, throw, wrapView synonyms
- ‘After some argument, North gathered up a portmanteau and steamer rugs and reluctantly left the room.’
- ‘The early 1930s ushered in Woolrich automobile robes and steamer rugs for the more mobile society.’
- ‘It took four days and four nights to reach his destination, and he slept lying full length under the seat wrapped in his steamer rug.’
- ‘The people on the dock waved farewell to those on the boat, and those on deck shook their handkerchiefs, their steamer rugs, their hands or umbrellas.’
- ‘The beautiful silk rug I had bought in Constantinople was rolled up in a shawl strap with my steamer rug.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.