One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A travelling rug, especially for use on board a passenger ship for keeping warm on deck.
blanket, coverlet, throw, wrapView synonyms
- ‘The beautiful silk rug I had bought in Constantinople was rolled up in a shawl strap with my steamer rug.’
- ‘After some argument, North gathered up a portmanteau and steamer rugs and reluctantly left the room.’
- ‘It took four days and four nights to reach his destination, and he slept lying full length under the seat wrapped in his steamer rug.’
- ‘The people on the dock waved farewell to those on the boat, and those on deck shook their handkerchiefs, their steamer rugs, their hands or umbrellas.’
- ‘The early 1930s ushered in Woolrich automobile robes and steamer rugs for the more mobile society.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.