One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tug that is powered by steam.
- ‘Sailing barges, steam tugs and ancient fishing craft filled the harbour ensuring a magnificent spectacle for the ship's company of HMS Exeter.’
- ‘They were towed by large steam tugs.’
- ‘A 60 hp steam tug used in the building of the Smalls lighthouse was brought to Penzance for the project, and five 40-ton barges were bought for transporting the stone.’
- ‘These boats were designed to be towed by either a horse or steam tug.’
- ‘The remains of a small steam tug, possibly WW II German, lie at 53m.’
- ‘Finally the Halcione was ready, a little steam tug towed it away from the bustling dock full of tearful relatives waving goodbye to their loved ones - perhaps for ever.’
- ‘Towards the steam tugs yelping down the glade of cranes,’
- ‘Here I could watch the steam tugs pulling barges upstream to Isleworth docks, and watch loaded barges from the flourmill being steered downstream by bargees working a huge tiller.’
- ‘In 1968, the New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroads merged and did away with steam tugs, sending them to a yard in Staten Island.’
- ‘The Flying Buzzard is a 105 ft ocean going steam tug.’
- ‘But it holds no trace, no memory of what came and went: ships, goods, Cabot and Brunel; trips around the docks on the steam tug.’
- ‘Then, it seemed from out of the very wall of the cliff, a steam tug boat appeared, and finally we saw a large red flag.’
- ‘Formed in 1834 to operate steam tugs and the local barges, they began a river passenger service to Totnes, Devon, in 1856 at the suggestion of the Duke of Clarence.’
- ‘Also view from the quay the steam tugs Mayflower and John King, and see the replica of John Cabot's 15 th century ship Matthew.’
- ‘As we approached Ellesmere we came across Frodsham, a beautiful looking steam tug.’
- ‘Sailing schooners were towed by steam tugs up the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers to Port Huron.’
- ‘The 80-foot 110 year-old Alma, is the last of her type and, like the steam tug Hercules, she is maintained and sailed on special occasions by another team of volunteers.’
- ‘The Scottish Hero left Plymouth on the morning of the 19 th November in tow of a steam tug.’
- ‘Challenge was the last steam tug to serve on the Thames and spent her whole working life based on the river.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.