One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Power that is applied to an engine by the force of steam.
- ‘Mines were capitalist, at least those that employed steam-power were owned by large proprietors or companies.’
- ‘By the early 1800 s, Evans' attention turned to steam power.’
- ‘The Powerhouse Museum will be exhibiting a number of important pieces of technology, from horsepower to steam power.’
- ‘After water came steam power and this engine is still in good working order.’
- ‘The first mechanical system to appear was steam power.’
- ‘The claim they staked is to pilot the first motorized vessel to cross the Atlantic without oil or steam power.’
- ‘An incredible number of applications of steam power were rapidly invented.’
- ‘Yamabe Takeo set up a large-scale cotton textile factory in Osaka which used steam power for the first time.’
- ‘It is significant that steam power upon roads required the abandonment of the usual highway.’
- ‘In 1876, he also erected a large grain elevator with a steam power for elevating grain.’
- ‘Regulation alone, however, cannot explain the failure of steam power on American city streets.’
- ‘They were also the first English coins to be struck using steam power.’
- ‘The main drawback of steam power was its poor power to weight ratio, which limited its applications.’
- ‘Railways and ships were still mainly steam powered into the 1950s, but the era of ' steam warfare ' was over by then.’
- ‘Once the dredge was on the bottom, the ship stayed on station all day, hauling the dredge slowly along under steam power.’
- ‘Then came metal hulls and steam power, and the historical line of continuity was broken.’
- ‘Privateering disappeared only when steam power ended the age of fighting sail.’
- ‘The spread of industry, or machinery, or steam power, or the factory system itself was erratic.’
- ‘Cream was carted from farms around to the creamery where horse or steam power turned the separator.’
- ‘The firm was considered to be the first in the UK to use steam power for lithographic printing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.