One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric iron that emits steam from holes in its flat surface, as an aid to ironing articles that are completely dry.
flat iron, electric iron, smoothing ironView synonyms
- ‘He once bought his wife a steam iron for her birthday.’
- ‘If pattern pieces must include portions of the remaining fold, hold a steam iron over the fabric, then smooth the fold line with your fingers.’
- ‘This procedure is simpler then topping up a steam iron.’
- ‘Using a press cloth and steam iron, press the outer edge of the collar and lapel, allowing the outer finished seam edge to roll slightly to the underside.’
- ‘It is also helpful to steam iron the fabric to make it easier to work with.’
- ‘Before I could point out that Lee's jeans had clearly never been within spitting distance of a steam iron and seemed to be several sizes too big, his mobile phone rang.’
- ‘You sprinkle water on your ironing, or mainline it direct into the steam iron.’
- ‘On good days, it could also smell like a hot steam iron on a fresh white sheet.’
- ‘If steam iron clogs from minerals in water, follow use-guide directions for cleaning, or use a commercial iron cleaner.’
- ‘The company didn't pay, so the workers had to get an order requiring that the board confiscate the sewing machines, industrial steam irons and the other equipment left in the abandoned factory.’
- ‘You will need a steam iron, a low sodium club soda, and clean white cotton towels.’
- ‘So, my steam iron and my coffee maker are not under extended warranties.’
- ‘They were then tied up, beaten, and tortured with a steam iron.’
- ‘The products are then sent to the foreign client, where an automatic steam iron is used, which removes those shiny areas.’
- ‘But if there are no obvious stains on the clothing, they will simply use a steam iron, according to ‘Popular Medicine’ magazine.’
- ‘To take out carpet indentations from heavy furniture, grab a screwdriver and a steam iron.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.