One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounNorthern English, Scottish
A farm and its buildings; a farmstead.‘an isolated steading on the boundary of two parishes’
smallholding, holding, farmstead, grange, plantation, estateView synonyms
- ‘Scotland has a rich diversity of historic buildings, including castles, tower houses, crofts, steadings, Edwardian mansions and so on.’
- ‘Henderson works with developer Musto Properties which currently has an eight-room Victorian farmhouse in Harburn on the market and will be converting the adjacent farm steadings.’
- ‘The sea of raspberry fields that lap the farm steading at Threipland's old farm near Rait in Perthshire is a fast-receding memory.’
- ‘They installed a threshing mill and horse gin - you can see them near the steading - and built the dairy and barn.’
- ‘Farmers have built the wide-span buildings they need elsewhere and the 150-year-old steadings lie abandoned.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.