One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A triangular fore-and-aft sail extended on a stay.
- ‘When it happened, I had a single reefed mainsail and the staysail up - and Doha was charging along at 20 knots.’
- ‘Finally, she had a set of sails called staysails to help her keep her course.’
- ‘Sunday, 20 May 2007 I worked in the cargohold tidying up, shifting cargo, and pulling out the old staysail to use as a jib.’
- ‘The sheets for all of the staysails are led to sheetstoppers on the cabin top just forward of the cockpit.’
- ‘The new small staysails help to clean up the turbulent flow and improve the mainsail's efficiency.’
- ‘At sunset, we had 5 sails up in a vain attempt to catch what little wind there was - jib, stay, main, mizzen staysail and the mizzen.’
- ‘Mainsails, genoas, working jibs and staysails, spinnakers, storm jibs, and trisails are all discussed in depth.’
- ‘All three sails are on a pair of sheets at the moment and I am building a new boomed staysail because I want a self tacking boat when I am on my own.’
- ‘This was the reason many sailing vessels used combinations of square sails and staysails for their rigs.’
- ‘Now the yards of the mizzen mast are braced around and the sheets of the staysails are eased.’
- ‘The schooner shown her with all sails set, with the exception of the staysails between the masts.’
- ‘Clipper ships often carried additional square sails on either side of the main square sails, and staysails were frequently rigged to the stays.’
- ‘In seriously poor weather, only the lower staysails are used.’
- ‘We just woke up to take down our large jib and hoisted a smaller staysail in its place.’
- ‘Our staysail is in very good shape, but doesn't have an ideal sheeting angle for pointing up high.’
- ‘Your approach will work but the sail will not be nearly as good as one designed as a staysail to begin with.’
- ‘We can carry the spinnaker in combination with the mizzen staysail or we can carry either alone.’
- ‘Once those were set, we set three staysails in the bow, and one staysail between each pair of masts.’
- ‘Self-tacking jibs and staysails work well with furling systems and with jib booms.’
- ‘A full array of triangular jibs and staysails might be included before or between the masts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.