One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Stitching placed along a bias or curved seam to prevent the fabric of a garment from stretching while the garment is being made.
- ‘It is not always necessary to use a stay stitch or other method to prevent your fabric from fraying.’
- ‘Lately I have been wondering if it is really necessary to use stay stitching around the necks lines.’
- ‘Carefully mark the waistline with machine stay stitches, using a slightly larger-than-usual stitch length.’
- ‘Then, we spend the extra time to reinforce stress points, and we put stay stitches in where others don't.’
- ‘Even doing the stay stitching can result in wonky edges after the block has been trimmed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.