Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small organ of balance and orientation in some aquatic invertebrates, consisting of a sensory vesicle or cell containing statoliths.Also called otocyst
- ‘In addition, the association of statocysts with mechanoreceptors further suggests that these ancient sense organs are distantly related to the vertebrate ear, linking sight and sound.’
- ‘Turbellarians sense their environment with statocysts, chemoreceptors, and photoreceptors.’
- ‘These statocysts are filled with fluid and lined with sensory cells.’
- ‘There are tiny sense organs called statocysts with which food can be detected, but otherwise no trace of eyes or other features normally associted with a head.’
- ‘Acanthaster planci are insensitive to touch and gravity, as they lack statocysts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.