Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in bryozoans) a resistant reproductive body produced asexually.
- ‘These cell masses, known as statoblasts, remain dormant for some time and can withstand drying and freezing; when conditions are favorable, the statoblasts germinates and forms a new zooid.’
- ‘Once the valves of the statoblast fall away, the young colonies can be transferred into large aquaria.’
- ‘Genetic changes within freshwater bryozoan populations suggest temporal gene flow from statoblast banks’
- ‘In sorting through the sample, I select out the statoblasts that look like they have begun to swell a bit.’
- ‘Horse-shoe shaped lophophore… No fossil record except for a few statoblasts (resistant wintering structures) from Quaternary sediments.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.