Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Writing and other office materials.‘a range of stationery’[as modifier] ‘a stationery supplier’
- ‘Today the cards are sold in ten stationery stores and bookstores in Atlanta.’
- ‘Given the predominance of the government offices, it would probably be a good time to be a printer of letterhead stationery.’
- ‘The school had contacted the district office last week to be told that stationery would be delivered this week.’
- ‘Half way through the show we encounter another, similar series devoted to piles of office stationery.’
- ‘Other stationery companies, leather goods manufacturers and upmarket pen manufacturers are the kind of businesses in the firm's sights.’
- ‘We're not running most of the replies, because we don't have enough asterisks in the office stationery cupboard to make them safe for work.’
- ‘Full support, training and stationery products are available.’
- ‘Because he was subsidising his office stationery bill by being more entrepreneurial than the rules allowed.’
- ‘The office stationery cupboard is like a sweet shop.’
- ‘At Waltons, a office furnishings and stationery company in Beach Road, Woodstock, a parking lot was flooded.’
- ‘Office stationery cupboards used to be crammed with reams of carbon paper sold to gullible secretaries by pushy salesmen during the lunch hour when the boss was out.’
- ‘Star Office Choice has the most comprehensive range of stationery and office supplies in Lismore and Casino.’
- ‘Littered among the debris was the gruesome sight of body parts, pieces of luggage and office stationery.’
- ‘Smith's stranglehold on the high street stationery market has not, however, always gone unchallenged.’
- ‘Pupils at Waddon Infants could also see class sizes increase, and less money available to spend on essential materials such as books and stationery.’
- ‘There is also a reception area, ten private offices, a stationery room, a store room and a tea-station on this floor.’
- ‘Holomisa also condemned the Eastern Cape government's failure to supply stationery to 200 students in Maluti.’
- ‘And as well as designer stationery there is a range of highly affordable invitation and thank-you card sets available ready to buy.’
- ‘They can claim for such things as staff wages, office space, stationery, travel costs and accommodation.’
- ‘The department has urged learners to use books and stationery from last year until new materials are delivered.’
On the confusion of stationery and stationary, see stationary
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.