One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An engine that remains in a fixed position, especially one that drives generators or other machinery in a building.
- ‘Vintage tractors, cars, motor bikes, stationary engines and exhibits from yesteryear will be on display.’
- ‘Various guided tours in and around Stutterheim were also on offer, including a visit to the stationary engine museum which boasts a number of unique exhibits.’
- ‘The Hall of Wheels exhibitions of transport through the ages, plus stationary engines, but this is more than a hall of wheels having everything from entertaining distorting mirrors to old household items.’
- ‘In the shop at the university, we repaired all types of equipment such as old farm machinery, saw arbors, tractors, and stationary engines.’
- ‘During Sunday's field day, the club will exhibit a host of attractions including vintage cars, trucks, machinery, stationary engines and household products from the past 70 years.’
- ‘Today, only a few types of muscle-powered stationary engines remain in use.’
- ‘The auction will feature vintage cars, tractors, commericials, stationary engines, and a host of related matters.’
- ‘There will also be display of Vintage Machinery which includes in tractors pre 1955, horse drawn equipment, stationary engine, and any other vintage equipment.’
- ‘The clock will turn back the years as the great steam engines, old tractors, old and classic cars, pre-war motor bikes and beautiful stationary engines will be on display.’
- ‘On display will be vintage cars, commercials, vintage tractors, stationary engines, scale models and motorbikes, along with the only steam motor cycle in the world.’
- ‘Air measurements for diesel exhaust gases and particles would undoubtedly vary as do stationary engines running under variable loads.’
- ‘On display will be old tractors, implements, stationary engines, model steam engines, vintage motor cycles and cars, crafts and displays.’
- ‘Engines, tractors, cars, transport vehicles of every description and stationary engines and motors of all sorts are on display on the day.’
- ‘There will also be vintage tractors, vintage cars, stationary engines, bicycles, motorcycles and agricultural machinery.’
- ‘The event caters for anyone buying or selling vintage tractors, cars, engines, commercials, stationary engines, horse and farm machinery, memorabilia etc. and once again attracted a loyal following.’
- ‘Behind the office building is the mill's big stationary engine, rusting in the weeds, but there is little other evidence of the huge sawmill that burned in the early 1960s.’
- ‘Other engine starting applications are in aircraft, boats and stationary engines for local electricity generation.’
- ‘My train had ploughed into a stationary engine just outside Brighton.’
- ‘A passenger train collided head-on with a stationary engine in New Delhi on Saturday, killing two people and injuring at least 18 others, police said.’
- ‘Attractions this year include a range of vintage tractors, cars, motorbikes, commercial vehicles, stationary engines, displays, craft stalls, horses, side shows, traction engines and children's rides.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.