One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The adhering of a garment to the wearer's body or to another garment, caused by a build-up of static electricity.
- ‘It not only prevents static cling, but it also removes soap residue.’
- ‘Magic BrushOff is a two-sided non-invasive, sponge-like gizmo that has a certain static cling which draws in surface dirt.’
- ‘Fabric softener sheets are designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television and computer screen with a used sheet to keep dust from resettling.’
- ‘It doesn't matter whether it's a sagging bra strap, static cling, or a potato chip that breaks when you dip it.’
- ‘Lose the cooling fans and the static cling of the monitor.’
- ‘Sharon Leal, the obligatory nonwhite babe, teaches music and wears static cling.’
- ‘Well let me tell you that what you'll find are grey plastic moccasins, elasticated waists and short - sleeved shirts with more static cling than a workbenchful of vices.’
- ‘To avoid fabric softeners and static cling, line dry your clothing or remove them from the dryer while slightly damp.’
- ‘Well mine only get static cling in spring, so I guess it is only you.’
- ‘She immediately clung to his leg like a sock with static cling.’
- ‘Atropal began frantically running his stumps through his hair, gathering the nether world equivalent of static cling.’
- ‘These ‘maps ‘are static cling, color-coded guides that slip under the strings and wrap around the neck of a guitar using no glues or adhesives, so they don't damage the guitar.’
- ‘Have you ever wondered about static electricity and static cling?’
- ‘I had been using a blush brush, but the static cling effect was terrible.’
- ‘A few minor things to consider: If you are traveling in the winter, you may find that static cling is rampant.’
- ‘What I was suspecting was that these thing were held together by electrostatic forces - static cling - little, very weak, electrostatic forces that holds together grains.’
- ‘It will also help to prevent static cling in the dryer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.