One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small state, especially one that is closely affiliated to or has emerged from the break-up of a larger state.
- ‘It was an amalgamation of independent German kingdoms, fiefdoms, and statelets, lightly bound together with no revenue, army, courts, or police.’
- ‘GAM based its perspective above all on the possibility of winning great power backing for an independent statelet.’
- ‘None of these statelets has a seat at the United Nations.’
- ‘During the negotiations in Geneva, GAM leaders took a step toward dropping their previous demand for an independent statelet in northern Sumatra.’
- ‘This program has shattered the very existence of the nominally independent statelets set up in the 1970s and 1980s.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.