One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small state, especially one that is closely affiliated to or has emerged from the break-up of a larger state.
- ‘This program has shattered the very existence of the nominally independent statelets set up in the 1970s and 1980s.’
- ‘During the negotiations in Geneva, GAM leaders took a step toward dropping their previous demand for an independent statelet in northern Sumatra.’
- ‘It was an amalgamation of independent German kingdoms, fiefdoms, and statelets, lightly bound together with no revenue, army, courts, or police.’
- ‘GAM based its perspective above all on the possibility of winning great power backing for an independent statelet.’
- ‘None of these statelets has a seat at the United Nations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.